Re: ORA-00979

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 25, 9:54 am, Tim Slattery <Slatter..._at_bls.gov> wrote:
> Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld..._at_trap.gmail.com> wrote:
> >If you only want the row for MAX(index_date) then you should SELECT
> >that, not use it in a HAVING clause.  Then you will need to GROUP BY
> >every other column that has not had an aggregation/function applied to
> >it.
>
> Thanks, looks like that's it.
>
> I'm converting an application from Sybase to Oracle. The SQL statement
> I posted ran perfectly fine in Sybase. Different SQL dialects, I
> suppose.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slatter..._at_bls.gov

Hmmm, yes, this thing says it's a t-sql extension to the standard (and implies the Oracle one is also a different extension to the standard, though I haven't thought it through):
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sqlug/html/sqlug/sqlug122.htm v. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_10002.htm#i2130020

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.