Re: Oracle Streams Archived log Downstream Capture: Source DB on RAC:A question @ RAC listeners

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:43:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:43:04 PM UTC-6, Ora_DBA wrote:
> I don't have much experience in Oracle RAC.
>

> We are implementing Oracle Streams using Archived-Log Downstream capture. Source and Target DBs are 11gR2.
>

> The source DB is in RAC (uses scan listeners).
>

> During Deployment, to prevent the users from accessing the source DB, the DBA of the source DB shutdown the listener on port 1521 (changed the port number to 0000 in some file). There was one more listener on port 1523 that was up and running. We used port 1523 to create DB link between the 2 databases.

That 'some file' is the listener.ora file.

> But, because the listener on Port 1521 was down, the archived logs from the source DB could not be shipped to the shared rive. As per the source DB DBA, the two instances in RAC use this listener/port to communicate with each other.

The two instances use the cluster interconnect to communicate with each other, using a configured VIP, not a listener. The listener is for external client connections and log transport.

> As such, when we ran DBMS_CAPTURE_ADM.CREATE_CAPTURE procedure from the target DB, the Logminer Data Dictionary that was extracted from the source DB to the Redo Logs was not avaialble to the target DB and the streams implementation failed.

How is the local_listener parameter configured? If it's using port 1521 then that would explain why port 1523 wasn't used. You can change the local_listener setting to point to the listener on port 1523.

> It seems that for the archived logs to ship from the source DB to the shared drive, we need the listener on the port 1521 up and running. (Correct me if I am wrong ).

See above; change local_listener to use the other listener and you should be fine.

> My question is:
>

> Is there a way to shutdown a listener to prevent users from accessing the DB and have another listsener up so that the archived logs can be shipped to the shared drive ? If so, can you please give the details/example ?

See above.

> We asked the same question to the DBA of the source DB and we were told that it could not be done.

No comment.

> Thanks in advance.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Aug 08 2012 - 14:43:07 CDT

Original text of this message