Re: DB2 System Administrator on zOS | Columbus Ohio | $70-$80 /hr | 3-6 months

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:35:05 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 23, 5:48 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 10:59 am, Peter Schneider <pschneider1..._at_googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Am 23.02.2012 15:24, schrieb Sherri Johnson:
>
> > > Dear Group member,
>
> > > We are looking Three DB2 Systems Administrators on zOS for a client
>
> > Put aside the fact that your posting is just ordinary usenet spamming, are you
> > even too dumb to read the news group name??
>
> > Is this comp.databases.db2.misc??
>
> > Leave this group alone with your spam, please!
>
> > Regards
> > Peter
>
> > --
> > The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what
> > you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. -- Mark Twain
>
> While I certainly am the first one to complain about spam :-) it isn't
> necessarily dumb to get some Oracle dba into a db2 site.  It's only
> dumb if the site thinks that is dumb, many smart sites realize an
> experienced and motivated dba plus localized training can be a good
> thing.  With multiple dbas, there is an advantage to having a spread
> of skills and experience, too.  There are also Oracle dbas who were
> previously db2 dbas, and certainly some shops with both engines.  The
> real determinant of dumb is the communication between the customer and
> the recruiter, and we don't know that.  Though I'm sure we've all run
> into some amazingly stupid recruiters, and there is nothing wrong with
> calling them that when they spam!  I've called them worse ;-)
> Recruiter success unfortunately has little to do with technical
> acumen, it's all sales and persistence.  As an old joke could go,
>
> ...a salesman bought a mule from a farmer who told him that if he were
> polite to the mule, it would do whatever he wanted. After months of
> being nice, but with no success in getting the mule to take him to
> customers, the salesman asked the farmer for help. The farmer came
> over, hit the mule on the head with a 2x4 and explained that you did
> have to be nice – “but first you have to get the mule’s attention.”
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> "I am trying to do Pint In time" - oracle-l
> Yeah, me too.- Hide quoted text -

In an effort to be direct with the offender I emailed the account used to post the spam; I also have this person on IM so I can immediately notify her of the indescretion and get her to remove the text littering this newsgroup. As of this writing the responsible party has yet to login to her account; when she does I will be the first to give her the bad news.

I agree with Joel on this one: it isn't dumb to place an experienced Oracle DBA in a DB2 shop; We don't know if this is strictly DB2 or a mix of that and other DBMS products and, as stated previously, having experienced DBAs on multiple platforms, given proper training in DB2 administration, could be a definite plus as Oracle may be on the horizon for this company or already in use. Cross-platform DBAs are not new, yet they aren't plentiful, either, and having one or more in a shop would be beneficial to business. I have Oracle (my concentration), Sybase, SQL Server and Informix experience (although the latter has been of no use to me since I left the Informix shop); my Sybase/SQL Server experience has been valuable, however, as I've used it in many ways throughout my career. What I *do* think is dumb is the recruiter who blindly posts job requirements in places they do not belong (here, for example) and who does not return to view activity on the post or read responses to it. I suppose she's like the mule in Joel's story ... which is why I am poised to provide input on this transgression when she finally connects to her email account.

Guess I should be looking for a good 2x4 ...

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 24 2012 - 12:35:05 CST

Original text of this message