Re: SHow a cursor

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:21:34 +0100

Am 08.02.2012 19:39, schrieb Gerard H. Pille:
> Tim Slattery wrote:
>> Tim Slattery<Slattery_T_at_bls.gov> wrote:
>>

>>> The "select" statement works when I run it from the SQL developer
>>> console. But when I call the function I'm told "table or view does not
>>> exist". But it *does* exist.
>>
>> I saw a web post that may have the answer. He says that a common cause
>> of this is that select permission on the table has been granted to a
>> role, and that role has then been assigned (granted? not sure of the
>> proper terminology) to me. But that role does not propagate to
>> functions that I write. The result is just what I'm seeing: I can
>> select from the table directly, but the function can't find it.
>>
>> Seems an irrational way for things to work, but then I'm only a
>> developer...
>>

> If you'd like to become a good developer, don't use dynamic SQL.

If you'd like to become a superb developer, learn how to use dynamic SQL at great depth, know what bind variables are good for, learn what excessive parsing means to your application performance...

And then you learn when dynamic SQL is appropriate and when not.

DBMS_SQL, EXECUTE IMMEDIATE and OPEN ... FOR '...' can do magic in the hand of PL/SQL wizards ;-)

Regards
Peter

--
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what
you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. -- Mark Twain