Re: Select Privileges

From: ExecMan <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:11:09 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 21, 12:17 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 9:08 am, ExecMan <artme..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > No.  You could create a read-only user in DB2 that can select from
> > > Tom's table then create a private db link in CHRIS' schema using that
> > > read-only user so he, and only he, can access that object.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell
>
> > David,
>
> > Can one have INSERT but not SELECT privileges?  Meaning that in DB1,
> > Tom inserts into the table on DB2.  However, that is all he can do,
> > insert.  Then I get up what is necessary to limit select access.   Or,
> > does one automatically get select privileges if they can insert also?
>
> As the grants go select, insert, update, delete are all separate
> privileges; I would expect that one could have insert-only privileges
> on a table given that information (I don't currently have a database
> to test that on).  I don't know what good that would do since inserted
> values could not be verified by the user performing the inserts, but
> it certainly appears to be possible,
>
> David Fitzjarrell

I read that you cannot have insert-only privileges over a DB link because Oracle performs a 'read' against the table, that you need select privileges also.

What kind of read is it doing? I'm just curious. Once I granted select privileges, everything is working. But, it sort of negates the 'insert only' account. Received on Mon Nov 21 2011 - 13:11:09 CST

Original text of this message