question about storage and DBMS

From: elodie <elodie.gillain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:21:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

I am working on the following question. I would appreciate if someone could help me with it.

You are running a DBMS on a computer which has a 3kByte disk block. Table T in your database D has size 200MBytes. You execute a query: “select * from T”.
How much data will be read from the drive? Assume that n*size_of_tuple = block_size, where n is natural.

I am thinking that 200,000/3=66,666.667
 so that reading the database is going to take 66,667 disk blocks. That would mean 66,6667*3kBytes=200,001kB

Thanks for your help. Received on Mon Nov 21 2011 - 12:21:02 CST

Original text of this message