Re: ETL in Oracle: the concept

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:55:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 21, 9:22 am, geos <g..._at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> I wonder if you could you share some thoughts and experience about doing
> (small) ETL in sql/plsql? I mean what general approach would you take?
> what pracices do you think could be described as best practices?
>
> my first very general attempt is to:
> 1) create materialized view logs on source tables
> 2) develop procedures to populate data into dimension tables
> 3) develop procedures to load data into fact tables
> 4) run these procedures through scheduler (external or dbms_scheduler)
>
> what should I pay attention to? what should I be aware of? I mean not
> detailed explanation or design of database structures but general
> thoughts about the set up, metadata, general concept. I would also
> appreciate links to articles in the subject if any.
>
> thank you,
> geos
>
> --
> FUT: comp.databases.oracle.misc

I don't know what hair transplants have to do with Oracle, but please don't multipost or crosspost between the various parts of the comp.databases.oracle hirearchy.

A quick google found

http://blogs.oracle.com/warehousebuilder/entry/great_discussion_of_etl_and_elt_tooling_in_tdwi_linkedin_group
http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com/2005/07/13/designs-that-balance-etl-and-report-performance/
http://nbrightside.com/blog/2006/02/20/introduction-to-etl-for-oracle

My own stuff is way out of date, so I won't answer.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://web.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/19/slacker-teams-aol-power-internet-radio-service/