Re: using distinct in a single column to get multiple rows

From: <test_at_m.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:28:52 -0500

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:38:54 -0500, test_at_m.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to get a unique column but I also need to return multiple rows.
>
>Using the following doesn't work to get the unique last name since it
>gets all unique columns.
>
>select unique userid, title, address
>from myTable
>where etc.........
>order by userid
>
>The userid will be returned multiple times because the other columns
>cause the row to be unique.
>
>How do I get a unique userid while still returning the other rows.
>
>Thanks!
>Dave

Thanks for the replies.

Lets say a table has the following data.

userid title zipcode

1	mgr	12345
2	dev	56789
1	mgr 	56789

And I wanted to return one row for each unique userid such as...
1	mgr	12345
2	dev	56789

If I use - select unique userid, title, zipcode it will return all 3 rows because each row is unique

userid title zipcode

1	mgr	12345
2	dev	56789
1	mgr 	56789

I only want unique userids, so it should return. I realize that there are two different rows for userid = 1 but returning only one would be OK. The last one would be good.

userid title zipcode

1	mgr	56789
2	dev	56789

Thanks for any help.
Dave. Received on Tue Sep 20 2011 - 15:28:52 CDT

Original text of this message