Re: PLS-00382 expression is of wrong type

From: joel garry <>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:27:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 11, 8:24 am, Tim Slattery <> wrote:
> I'm getting a PLS-00382 error and cannot decrypt the message.
> I'm invoking a synonym of a function from a java program. This
> database has recently been jiggled so that instead of directly
> invoking the function, I have to call a synonym. The synonym is
> (apparently) properly defined, when I do:
> select SOII_getSurveyControl from dual;
> in SQLDeveloper, I get correct results. But when I invoke it from
> Java, I get the error. The Java code has not changed from when I was
> invoking the function directly instead of the synonym. It looks like
> this:
> CallableStatement sproc_stmt = dbConnection.prepareCall("{? = call
>       SOII_getSurveyControl}");
> sproc_stmt.registerOutParameter(1, OracleTypes.CURSOR);
> sproc_stmt.execute();
> result = (ResultSet)sproc_stmt.getObject(1);
> It blows up trying to run the execute() method. The exact error being
> reported is:
> java.sql.SQLException: [BEA][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-06550:
> line 1, column 18:
> PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type
> ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
> PL/SQL: Statement ignored
> It references two columns in line 1, neither of which makes any sense.
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slatter..._at_bls.gov

No idea about any of this stuff, but I do note maybe you have a scoping error (perhaps some combo of jdbc and synonyms), see MOS 1019403.102 for what I'm referring to. Searching on the two errors with && between them on MOS may give other clues.

Also googling +ORA-06550 +PLS-00382 +jdbc gives things like which refers to workarounds for some jdbc limitations.

-- is bogus.
Expect recruiting spam on twitter.