Re: creating MV logs in a logical standby DB

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:29:29 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 9, 5:22 pm, Ora_DBA <sanjaydharmadhik..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create materialized views based on a few tables in a
> logical standby database.
>
> The target database (11g R2) where the MVs will be created is a stand-
> alone database.
>
> The DB where the base tables reside is a logical standby database (11g
> R2).
>
> The requirement is to do a "FAST REFRESH" of the Materialized Views.
>
> My questions are :
>
> 1. Can I create MV logs in the logical standby DB?
> 2. If the answer to question no. 1 is "Yes", do I need to do anything
> different or configure the logical standby DB in a specific manner in
> order to create MV logs. From what I understand, the objects in the
> logical standby database are in a locked state. Is that going to be a
> problem ?
>
> Any other information that might be relevant is greatly appreciated.

According to http://www.scribd.com/doc/43930158/twp-dataguard-11gr2-1-131981 An Oracle Technical White Paper
September 2009
Oracle Data Guard with Oracle Database 11g Release 2

"Use SQL Apply if you meet its prerequisites and: •
You wish to run reporting applications that require read-write access to the standby database. Note that data maintained by SQL Apply cannot be modified

You wish to add tables, additional schemas, indexes, and materialized views to yourstandby database that do not exist on your primary database"

I'm not quite sure if that answers your question, but at least you can do it in the standby. For an extra license on primary and standby and only on EE, of course.

> Thanks in advance.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.