Question about XML and Oracle.

From: John Peterson <j0hnp_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:30:13 -0700

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm using the Oracle built-in XML functions to format a result set into an XML representation.

However, I can't quite figure out how to "wrap" my results with a header/footer.

For example, I want my output to be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<OuterElement>

   <AllMyQueryResultsXML/>
</OuterElement>

I've successfully created a multi-row query that generates the
<AllMyQueryResultsXML>. But, I can't figure out how to get the final step
of wrapping those results in the version and <OuterElement> aspects.

I know I can use XMLRoot for the version aspect. But the <OuterElement> eludes me. I've tried doing stuff like:

select xmltype("<OuterElement>") from dual union all
...MyMultiRowQueryThatReturnsXMLTYPE...
union all
select xmltype("</OuterElement>") from dual

But that doesn't work, because XMLTYPE expects well-formed XML. I've tried variations on the theme with XMLSERIALIZE and XMLCONCAT, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Any help that anyone can provide would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks!   Received on Thu Nov 18 2010 - 14:30:13 CST

Original text of this message