Re: Displaying 'umlaut' character

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:31:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 11:58 am, "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-usen..._at_hjp.at> wrote:
> On 2010-09-26 15:26, Frank van Bortel <fbor..._at_home.nl> wrote:

> >> Thanks for that Frank, I'm always forgetting where I've seen the
> >> excellent write-up.
>
> I disagree. It isn't excellent. It is at best didactically inept and at
> worst dangerously wrong.

Example of dangerously wrong, please.

Most of what I've seen (including MOS) is worse, didactically.

> > Thanks for the thumbs up.
>
> > However - one thing I was trying to clarify,
> > is the fact that
> > * you do not store characters; you store code points
>
> Nope. Of course from a very low-level point of view you only store
> bytes. But those bytes have a meaning for Oracle - in the case of a
> varchar2 field they mean characters, just as they mean floating point
> numbers in a number field or dates in date field.
>
> > * there's no such thing as a wrong database character set
>
> The database character set is wrong if it isn't able to represent the
> characters you want to store.

It's also wrong if it does store the characters you want to store, but changes them later (the obvious example being 8 bit characters in 7- bit character set, but there are more subtle examples).

> > (a.k.a. there's always one way to screw up, at least!)
>
> There is also a way to not screw up. That would be the way most people
> prefer.

They may say they prefer it, but often they screw up anyways. Often this involves not following the instructions.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
But it takes mass media to really screw up.