Re: Displaying 'umlaut' character

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet2_at_hjp.at>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:58:40 +0200

On 2010-09-26 15:26, Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote:
> On 09/22/2010 06:35 PM, joel garry wrote:
>> On Sep 22, 12:20 am, Frank van Bortel<fbor..._at_home.nl> wrote:
>>> Maybe this helps: (shameless self promotion)http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2009/04/special-characters-part-i.html
>>> Last part is here:http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2010/01/special-characters-part-iv.html
>>
>> Thanks for that Frank, I'm always forgetting where I've seen the
>> excellent write-up.

I disagree. It isn't excellent. It is at best didactically inept and at worst dangerously wrong.

> Thanks for the thumbs up.
>
> However - one thing I was trying to clarify,
> is the fact that
> * you do not store characters; you store code points

Nope. Of course from a very low-level point of view you only store bytes. But those bytes have a meaning for Oracle - in the case of a varchar2 field they mean characters, just as they mean floating point numbers in a number field or dates in date field.

> * there's no such thing as a wrong database character set

The database character set is wrong if it isn't able to represent the characters you want to store.

> (a.k.a. there's always one way to screw up, at least!)

There is also a way to not screw up. That would be the way most people prefer.

        hp Received on Tue Sep 28 2010 - 13:58:40 CDT

Original text of this message