Re: Displaying 'umlaut' character

From: Ben Morrow <ben_at_morrow.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:22:26 +0100

Quoth frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com:
> On 09/22/2010 06:50 AM, dn.perl_at_gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > My aim is to display the ‘special’ (NON-Ascii) German character/
> > diacritic umlaut or diaresis correctly on a browser. The browser calls
> > a cgi perl-script which resides on a linux server. The browser which
> > calls the perl-script displays Vietnamese characters correctly (but
> > not the umlaut) without any special setting. The script sets NLS_LANG
> > variable to AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 and uses utf8 module, but that’s
> > about it.
> >
> > $ENV{'NLS_LANG'}='AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8';
> > Works for Vietnamese characters, but not with umlaut (ö).
> >
> > But even before we get to a perl-script, perhaps the LC_CTYPE env
> > variable needs to be set correctly. From my windows laptop, if I
> > access Oracle through Oracle Query Server, I can see the umlaut. But
> > if I open a linux-window, initiate an sqlplus session, and run the
> > same SQL, I do not see the umlaut correctly. I have tried a few values
> > for the env variable LC_CTYPE (like iso_8859_1, en_US,
> > en_US.iso88591), but with no luck. The surprising thing is that
> > ‘umalut’ is a muck-known alphabet, Vietnamese alphabets are less-
> > known. Yet the Vietnamese characters are being displayed correctly.
> >
> > What settings should I use in a perl-script or for a linux-window to
> > see the umlaut correctly? Please advise.
> >

> Apart from what I replied earlier, the correct way to encode
> is of course "&ouml;" (without the quotes...)
> As this is all ASCII, no problems should arise.

Also note that if you push :encoding(US-ASCII) with $PerlIO::encoding::fallback set to Encode::FB_XMLCREF Perl will do the conversion for you (well, it'll give you &#xHHHH; entities, but that's equivalent). (Yes, this is a really nasty interface.)

Ben Received on Wed Sep 22 2010 - 03:22:26 CDT

Original text of this message