Re: RMAN Mounting Database

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 07:02:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 4:34 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 12:33 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 1:47 pm, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was looking at this RMAN script.  I see these commands:
>
> > > STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
> > > ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
>
> > > STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it.  So,
> > > why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?
>
> > >    STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> > > RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
> > >    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> > > RESTORE DATABASE;
> > > RECOVER DATABASE;
> > > ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> > The script looks like it was taken from the OracleŽ Database Backup
> > and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) available athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrec...
>
> > STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE CONTROLFILE;  # restore control file from consistent backup
> > ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE DATABASE;  # restore datafiles from consistent backup
> > RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;  # specify NOREDO because online redo logs
> > are lost
> > ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> > You have just restored the control file from backup and I hazard a
> > guess that the alter database mount is needed to read the control file
> > you just restored, i.e., reposition to the start of the restored
> > control file.
>
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> That strikes me as correct, and yet something bothers me.  I look at
> your link, and see that it is an example with a catalog.  I look athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsyn...
> andhttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsyn...
> and see that is an error.  And of course, there is a "don't do
> that" [mount when already mounted] somewhere, I think in the concepts
> manual.  I guess this goes to show you have to try it for specific
> circumstances (or if I'm going bonkers, to read the manual more
> carefully).
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/13/la-mesa-man-can-sue-sp...- Hide quoted text -

There are many statements in the complete manual set which seem to be in conflict with each other, but often are not when considered in the context in which the statements are presented. There are also several out and out errors of fact in the manuals. However, for the script in question it appears to be fit for the purpose and conditions discussed in the section of the manual where it appears though the way to be sure would be to run a test. Unfortunately I do not have a system available for testing the script with.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Aug 14 2010 - 09:02:04 CDT

Original text of this message