Re: RMAN Mounting Database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 12:33 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 1:47 pm, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > I was looking at this RMAN script.  I see these commands:
>
> > STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
> > ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
>
> > STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it.  So,
> > why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?
>
> >    STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
> >    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> > RESTORE DATABASE;
> > RECOVER DATABASE;
> > ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> The script looks like it was taken from the OracleŽ Database Backup
> and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) available athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrec...
>
> STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> RESTORE CONTROLFILE;  # restore control file from consistent backup
> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> RESTORE DATABASE;  # restore datafiles from consistent backup
> RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;  # specify NOREDO because online redo logs
> are lost
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> You have just restored the control file from backup and I hazard a
> guess that the alter database mount is needed to read the control file
> you just restored, i.e., reposition to the start of the restored
> control file.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

That strikes me as correct, and yet something bothers me. I look at your link, and see that it is an example with a catalog. I look at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta051.htm#g1040497 and http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsynta2008.htm#sthref1524 and see that is an error. And of course, there is a "don't do that" [mount when already mounted] somewhere, I think in the concepts manual. I guess this goes to show you have to try it for specific circumstances (or if I'm going bonkers, to read the manual more carefully).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/13/la-mesa-man-can-sue-spain-over-painting-nazis-took/