Re: RMAN Mounting Database

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 1:47 pm, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
> I was looking at this RMAN script.  I see these commands:
>
> STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
>
> STARTUP FORCE shuts it down and then restarts it and mounts it.  So,
> why the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT?
>
>    STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
> RESTORE CONTROLFILE;
>    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
> RESTORE DATABASE;
> RECOVER DATABASE;
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
The script looks like it was taken from the OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) available at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrecov.htm#BRADV008

STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
RESTORE CONTROLFILE; # restore control file from consistent backup ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
RESTORE DATABASE; # restore datafiles from consistent backup RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO; # specify NOREDO because online redo logs are lost
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; You have just restored the control file from backup and I hazard a guess that the alter database mount is needed to read the control file you just restored, i.e., reposition to the start of the restored control file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Aug 13 2010 - 14:33:49 CDT

Original text of this message