Re: Oracle Import

From: The Magnet <art_at_unsu.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:43:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 6, 11:04 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 9:37 am, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > We are exporting data from MySQL to Oracle.  According to the
> > developers the data from MySQL contains new lines and tabs (\n, \r,
> > \t).
>
> > Is there a way to retain that in the message?  The data is being
> > imported into a CLOB column.  Are there CHR for that?  I think there
> > is more than just a replace, so, I'm looking for ideas as I continue
> > to search.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> If you are going to load the data in question into a CLOB column then
> the sqlldr utility has the ability to load LOB's and each LOB can be a
> file so the tabs, CR, and NL can be loaded.
>
> You can also load the data via programs that insert the data in
> question.
>
> You can shove tab and NL into varchar2 columns for that matter.  As
> long as the data submitted to Oracle has tab and NL in it Oracle will
> store it.  If you transfer the data across platforms be sure you do
> not translate it such as the ASCII FTP I do between Windows and UNIX
> automatically converts Windows text file CR NL combinations in just NL
> on windows.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Well, maybe not the best way, but I was thinking of replacing the \t with CHR(9) and the \n with CHR(10). I'll just parse the line. It comes from MySQL with the line feed & tab stuff, so I'll just do a parse / replace.

It is a one time thing, so I think that will do. Received on Fri Aug 06 2010 - 12:43:41 CDT

Original text of this message