Re: Oracle Import

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 6, 9:37 am, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
> We are exporting data from MySQL to Oracle.  According to the
> developers the data from MySQL contains new lines and tabs (\n, \r,
> \t).
>
> Is there a way to retain that in the message?  The data is being
> imported into a CLOB column.  Are there CHR for that?  I think there
> is more than just a replace, so, I'm looking for ideas as I continue
> to search.
>
> Thanks!

If you are going to load the data in question into a CLOB column then the sqlldr utility has the ability to load LOB's and each LOB can be a file so the tabs, CR, and NL can be loaded.

You can also load the data via programs that insert the data in question.

You can shove tab and NL into varchar2 columns for that matter. As long as the data submitted to Oracle has tab and NL in it Oracle will store it. If you transfer the data across platforms be sure you do not translate it such as the ASCII FTP I do between Windows and UNIX automatically converts Windows text file CR NL combinations in just NL on windows.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Aug 06 2010 - 11:04:21 CDT

Original text of this message