Re: A good way to keep documentation for databases as DBA

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 17, 3:34 pm, Tim X <t..._at_nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> Highly recommend using a revision control system. Doesn't really matter
> which one. I like GIT, but some find it conceptually challenging.
> Mercurial (Hg) is very similar, but apparently a bit more user friendly.
> Bazaar (bzr) is also pretty good. Even subversion is better than
> nothing!

Since I can't get sign-off on any of this from my boss, and indeed, can't convince anyone a DBA is necessary, and am working under a RAD system where vendor people can get authorization to do all sorts of strange stuff without telling me about it, I keep everything on subfolders on the server where I can simply search for stuff when I need it, and be sure it is backed up, and be sure the rc scripts bring everything up right with no attention. If others are too clueless to read a script, not my problem (until I have to fix it when I come back from vacation). I habitually modify dangerous scripts to start with an exit.

I have recently been able to document a couple of problems created more than 10 years ago by doing it this way, should you be laughing or shaking your head at this.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"A quality DBA are the ones where the bosses ask 'What does that guy