How to export a LONG field to Excel

From: <dn.perl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:49:08 -0700 (PDT)

I use Oracle SQL Developer, ver 2.1, to access an Oracle 10g server. I would like to export a LONG field into an excel sheet. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, and I have not been able to find out the boundary beyond which it fails. I can export it into a csv file and then open it an an excel file, but the LONG field contains several tabs and several commas within it. And formatting that data correctly so that excel organizes it the way I want (correct field in correct column) is proving a bit tiresome.

Can Oracle SQL Developer or TOAD be configured to read (say) 2,000 characters of a LONG field, truncate the rest, and reliably export this data (with a limit of characters in a LONG field) into an Excel sheet?

Please advise; thanks in advance. Received on Fri Jun 18 2010 - 00:49:08 CDT

Original text of this message