Re: Privileges Database Link

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:20:52 -0700 (PDT)

On May 24, 1:52 pm, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 3:49 pm, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> > Op 24-5-2010 20:18, The Magnet schreef:
>
> > > We have 2 database which have DB links between.  The user in both
> > > database have the same name.  We cannot figure out how to grant the
> > > privileges.
>
> > > SQL>  grant select on status to j..._at_comm.zacks.com;
> > > grant select on status to j..._at_comm.zacks.com
> > >                                      *
> > > ERROR at line 1:
> > > ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended
>
> > > SQL>  grant select on status to john;
> > > grant select on status to john
> > >                            *
> > > ERROR at line 1:
> > > ORA-01749: you may not GRANT/REVOKE privileges to/from yourself
>
> > > Help please.
>
> > Your database link connects through a user in the target database.
> > Grants should be done IN the target database by an account with the
> > privileges to do so. You can not grant over the link.
>
> > Shakespeare
>
> Right, but take this:
>
> DB1
> ------
> USER:  JOHN
> TABLE: TAB1
>
> DB2
> ------
> USER: JOHN
> TABLE: TAB1
>
> I cannot grant a privilege to myself.  I mean, the user names are the
> same, and I am having trouble with that part, unless I am missing
> something.

When you attach to the dblink, you login as that user. So you don't need to grant anything to that user. The fact that users in two databases are named the same is irrelevant. What are you trying to accomplish that isn't working, besides this granting?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
How stupid are Republicans? http://www.10news.com/news/23651893/detail.html