Re: Target and Auxiliary have different OS and version of Oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 16:34:02 -0700 (PDT)

On May 8, 3:23 am, Frank van Bortel <fbor..._at_home.nl> wrote:
> On 05/06/2010 07:23 PM, joel garry wrote:
>

> > On May 6, 6:03 am, moongeegee<moongee..._at_gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> The target is Window server 2003 with 10g 10.2.0.2.0 oracle and the
> >> Auxiliary is Windows XP with 10g 10.2.0.1.0 oracle.
> >> Can I user rman duplicate database to duplicate database from target
> >> to auxiliary ?
>
> > It depends on information you have not supplied.  The answer is
> > probably yes, but you might want to patch up some in case there are
> > bugs.
>
> > See the Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
> > about Cross-Platform Transportable Databases and Tablespaces and
> > Preparing for CONVERT DATABASE: Using the DBMS_TDB Package
>
> > In there you will see a reference to V$DB_TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM and
> > related views.  Select everything from that view and see if your
> > operating systems and platform are listed, and think about how what
> > you posted is ambiguous.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > _at_home.com is bogus.
> >http://www.bogost.com/blog/flash_is_not_a_right.shtml
>
> Well, with 10.2.0.3 and 10.2.0.4 it is not working.
> The whole exercise goes well, up to the point where
> the clone is about to be opened.
> It then start (rightfully so) moaning about it should
> be opened in upgrade mode. Which will leave you in a
> catch-22 situation.
>
> Frank van Bortel

Dang, you're right. The duplicate is so helpfully automatic it shoots itself in the foot. https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&id=369644.1&type=NOT#aref2 Thought I had seen a solution to that somewhere, guess I'm just confused by all the possibilities.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9176426/House_panel_to_hold_stock_market_inquiry