Re: Target and Auxiliary have different OS and version of Oracle

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 12:23:52 +0200

On 05/06/2010 07:23 PM, joel garry wrote:
> On May 6, 6:03 am, moongeegee<moongee..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> The target is Window server 2003 with 10g 10.2.0.2.0 oracle and the
>> Auxiliary is Windows XP with 10g 10.2.0.1.0 oracle.
>> Can I user rman duplicate database to duplicate database from target
>> to auxiliary ?
>
> It depends on information you have not supplied. The answer is
> probably yes, but you might want to patch up some in case there are
> bugs.
>
> See the OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
> about Cross-Platform Transportable Databases and Tablespaces and
> Preparing for CONVERT DATABASE: Using the DBMS_TDB Package
>
> In there you will see a reference to V$DB_TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM and
> related views. Select everything from that view and see if your
> operating systems and platform are listed, and think about how what
> you posted is ambiguous.
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> http://www.bogost.com/blog/flash_is_not_a_right.shtml

Well, with 10.2.0.3 and 10.2.0.4 it is not working. The whole exercise goes well, up to the point where the clone is about to be opened.
It then start (rightfully so) moaning about it should be opened in upgrade mode. Which will leave you in a catch-22 situation.

Frank van Bortel Received on Sat May 08 2010 - 05:23:52 CDT

Original text of this message