Re: oracle forms on win 2003 terminal server

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:14:47 +0200

Op 29-4-2010 11:07, Andreas Moroder schreef:
> Hello,
>

>> Found this (for what it's worth):
>>
>> The problem is caused by new 2D and 3D functionality in Java 1.3
>> (which is used by JInitiator). It was not bugfree at that time in
>> combination with certain graphical cards and drivers. You can solve
>> this problem by tuning this functionality off by the next parameter in
>> de JInitiator console:
>>
>> -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
>
> I tried this months ago but it did not speedup. Maybe It was not exact
> this parameter. I will retry.
>

>> It works perfect at out company and we don't have issues anymore with
>> popping-up characters seconds after you type them.
>>

>> Maybe you should stop using jinitiator at all (the latest forms
>> versions don't seem to need it anymore)
>
> No. The people that wrote the apps tested them with java without
> jinitiator, but some forms triggers don't work.
>
>> Shakespeare
>
> Bye
> Andreas

Thanks for the info. An Oracle consultant told me lately that jinitiator was not needed anymore, but indeed, I remember from the old days that forms could behave very differently when used without jinitiator.

The real problem here is roundtrips to the server with every key pressed. It's like the browser telling the server: "This key was pressed, what should I do?" and the server replies: "Show the character!"

I vaguely remember a trick to circumvent this, but working with forms is quite a long time ago for me. I'll try to find it in my long-time-ago notes.....

Shakespeare

(Somehow brings to mind the song "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_Hole_in_My_Bucket ) Received on Thu Apr 29 2010 - 16:14:47 CDT

Original text of this message