How many hours take an Oracle RAC implementation?

From: Big George <jbeteta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:04:25 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, it's a dummy question, but we have some doubts about an outsourcing service.

We need in our office to implement Oracle 10gR2 RAC, two nodes in W2k3 Server 64 bits. Our two servers are in a HP Bladesystem c3000. Each one has 32 GB RAM and processor Intel Xeon E5540.

We use Oracle database from 5 years ago. We have some experience, but we are not masters.

We decided to take an outsourcing service for RAC implementation and for some external reasons it's not so easy not to hire them.

This outsourcing service has estimated about 120 hours to implement Oracle RAC. I think it's excessive. Maybe I'm wrong about it.

I know that time will depend on what we need to be done, so this is basically what we need:
(this is a translation to English, sorry for mistakes)
Note: When we talk about "migration", it means passing one instance in Oracle to Oracle RAC

  1. Planning Collect or gather information Strategy and Planification for implementation and migration
  2. RAC installation for production environment Review and evaluation for configuring W2k3 Server in 64-bits Installing and configuring Clusterware Installing and configuring ASM Installing and creating database in RAC of 2 nodes Configuring TAF (Transparent Application Failover) Tuning RAC
  3. Data Migration and release to production Upgrade and consolidate 8 databases or Oracle instances to RAC
    (100Gb)
    Tuning database Testing, including conecction from .NET 1.1 or 3.5 applications using ODP.NET to database in 64-bits O/S. Release to production

If I distribute 120 hours for a RAC implementation, it means more or less 6 hour per day, from Monday to Friday, for 4 weeks!

So, one month for implementing Oracle RAC? Really? If I had that amount of time, I could do it by myself. Received on Wed Apr 21 2010 - 14:04:25 CDT

Original text of this message