Re: Toubles Storing ASCII character greater than 127

From: George K. <karabot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:56:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 21, 7:08 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario"
<alvaro.NOSPAMTH..._at_demogracia.com.invalid> wrote:
> El 21/04/2010 15:31, George K. escribió/wrote:
>

> > Thank you guys, I meant to write a response yesterday once I found the
> > solution but I was too tired :).
>
> > I found reading material about oracle's charsets and I run into all
> > the different NLS options.  Armed with that I was able to determine
> > the connection options I have to setup in Perl in order to match the
> > client with the server.
>
> > Here are a few more details on the problem:
> > 1) I am reading from an Informix table containing zlib compressed data
> > stored in a lvarchar.
> > 2) I need to store them in a mirror image table without losing
> > integrity of the data because I can no longer un-compress them.
>
> > The solution was finding an appropriate charset that will not messup
> > the compressed data
>
> Er... The solution for storing binary data is BLOB, isn't it?
>
> --
> --http://alvaro.es- Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
> -- Mi sitio sobre programación web:http://borrame.com
> -- Mi web de humor satinado:http://www.demogracia.com
> --

Yes more often than not it is--but in our case we make sure we escape all those \0 \\ characters that may messup the data when stored in a varchar2. I also believe blobs add overheard both in space and in performance to the DB. Moreover, it is also a matter of, if its done in informix why can't be done in Oracle. :)

Thanks again for your responses.
George Received on Wed Apr 21 2010 - 09:56:39 CDT

Original text of this message