Re: 10G and RULE

From: Kay Kanekowski <kay.kanekowski_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 00:18:54 +0200

Hallo Nicolas,

"the rule hint is not supported ... " oracle wrote this since 8i, 9i, i don't know. But imho this hint will work today.

Most the times i found this hint my developer weren't able to implement a correct index hint. So it was easier for them to implement the rule hint. It works despite they know why ...

The other problem are the bugs with wrong number of results which depends on using an index or not.
I'm responsible for a little program to mirror an older IMS database to a read-only oracle database.
So i have to delete lots of rows in some tables. First i count the amount of rows which my program has to delete and then with the next statement my program deletes them. So i have statement based on a view on a large varchar field with substr and to_number for extract every column. And then build a where-clause which compare all these extracted columns with all the columns of the target table. So i have the same complex statement, one time "select count(*) from ..." and afterwards "delete from ...". And if the count(*) doesn't equal the row%count of the delete my program throws an exception. That worked fine the last 11 years for half of the german people. Only 2 times we had a mismatch. First was an upgrade within 9i, so i have implement an index hint. Second was the upgrade from 9 to 10 where old statistics caused the problems.
And every times my DBAs implement a new Oracle version i'm highly alerted about the results of my little program.

und tschüss
Kay Received on Wed Apr 07 2010 - 17:18:54 CDT

Original text of this message