Re: 10G and RULE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:24:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 12:39 am, "Nicolas Bronke" <Nicolas_Bro..._at_web.de> wrote:
> >> With Oracle 10g the RULE command will not be supported.
> >> So far as good, we removed all RULE statements inside Queries and views.
> >> Mostly it works fine, but in some cases the queries does not work
> >> correcly.
> >> No rows are returned. If I put the RULE back in this query everything
> >> works
> >> fine.
> >> This happens with 20g2.0.3 and 10g2.0.4
>
> >> Does someone else has seen this and does exist a patch for this
> >> behaviour?
>
> >In addition to what Mark said, see the 10.2.0.4 and 11g notes that
> >list all the bugfixes for all the patches.  There are some CBO wrong
> >results bugs that aren't fixed until 11g, but they tend to be really
> >obscure.  Are you using dblinks?  How _exactly_ are you gathering
> >statistics?
>
> in addition to my answer to mark.
> We do not use dblinks. We often let analyze the data.
> Regards
> Nicolas

Not quite parsing that :-) Do you mean you use the default statistics gathering with 10.2.0.4? That may not be what you want to do. There's a white paper at Oracle.com about what to expect from the 10g optimizer, but they changed the site around I don't have time to find it just now (though google finds it
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/db/10g/pdf/twp_bidw_optimizer_10gr2_0208.pdf ) . There's plenty of stuff on the web about it, anyways. Delving into the plan is what you should be doing now, and you may need to do some tracing to see what is really going on. http://tonguc.wordpress.com/2007/01/20/optimizer-debug-trace-event-10053-trace-file/

The RBO is not supported, but the code may still be in there unchanged, or it may be ignored, I forget. You can still see rule hints being used by system code.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://blogs.oracle.com/experience/pacman-chart.jpg