Re: Materialized Views Vs. Streams Replication

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:40:08 +0100

Ora_DBA wrote:
> I have a questions for Oracle Gurus:
>
> We have a database that has about 70 tables. We need to replicate 32
> out of these 70 tables into another database. Both the source and the
> target database are Oracle 11gR1 and the OS is HP-Unix. The DB and the
> OS version is the same for both the source and the target database.
>
> Out of these 32 tables, about 10-15 are transaction tables. Remaining
> tables are lookup tables.
> The volume of records changed( Inserted/Updated/Deleted ) is about 1.5
> millions per day. There are no restrictions in implementing streams
> replication.
>
> Between Oracle Materialized Views with Fast Refresh option and Streams
> Replication, which is the less resource- intensive option for the
> replication ? Since we don't hace access to the production machine, we
> can't do any benchmarking now. Development machine is airtual machine
> wiyh less memory and less number of CPUs.
>
> From what I know, Oracle Materialized Views are less robust but easy
> to implement and Streams Replication is Robust but more complicated. I
> don't know how they compare performance wise.
>
> If you have any preference between the two options, plese let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Sanjay

As usual: it depends.

MV's as well as Streams are valid options. Just test and see what fits your exact scenario best.

I've seem Streams crumble and crash under load, but that was in an earlier version.

--

Regards, Frank van Bortel

Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply