Re: Automatic Segment Space Management

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 06:31:29 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 8:59 am, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 7:13 am, moongeegee <moongee..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I have some old SQL scripts that use PCTFREE and PCTUSED.
> > As now we have 10g, should I modify the scripts using ASSM instead of
> > PCTFREE
> > and PCTUSED?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Have you looked at the Oracle documentation?
>
> The short answer is that you scripts don't have to change although
> some of the parameters may start getting ignored.
>
> Are you going to modify things manually instead of using some kind of
> tool and/or script that re-creates only the relevant parameters
> applicable to your changing environment?

The pctfree parameter is still valid when ASSM is in use. Determining the proper value to use for this parameter is an important as ever for limiting migrated rows and for making efficient use of block space.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 04 2010 - 08:31:29 CST

Original text of this message