Re: Oracle 10g or 11g certification?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:51:04 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 18, 6:32 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 5:04 am, harryajh <harryreg..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > hi, thinking about going the OCP exam but not sure if it's best to go
> > for 10g or 11g?
>
> > we use 10g at work but not sure how widespread 11g is yet - obviously
> > cost implications if I have to upgrade later to 11g but interested in
> > what peoples thoughts are on which one to go for?
>
> > thanks in advance
>
> > harry
>
> While studying 10g would be more useful in realtion to your day to day
> job tasks I think because 11g is alreay half-way through its life
> cycle that earning the OCP on 11g would be a better long-term career
> move.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

Since the difference is only 1 upgrade class (I think? Haven't looked lately), and it takes some period of time to take it all, wouldn't it make more sense to use the current environment and eventually wind up certified in both? Personally, I found the major benefit of OCP as learning the stuff I _didn't_ use at work, but it is a lot harder to learn that stuff. For me anyways, learning stuff too far ahead of use is pretty useless, it all goes away right after the exam. I've found in general it's best to play around with stuff, then take the class, then use it. YMMV.

FWIW I'm not certified in 10 or 11, too busy doing actual work. Do have the materials though, and have taken the 10g upgrade class, and sometimes find them useful.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Darla means naked in Somali.