Re: "Business Logic / Rules should never be in the database or stored procedures"

From: Tim X <timx_at_nospam.dev.null>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:45:10 +1100

Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> writes:

> On 14.12.2009 07:53, Tim X wrote:
>> Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> There is an underlying dilemma which I haven't seen any satisfying solution to
>>> yet: you want enforcement of business rules in the database in order to
>>> prevent any intentional or unintentional screw up of application data. OTOH
>>> you want those rules in application code as well, because there is where all
>>> the business logic resides.
>>>
>>> From my experience what often happens is this: some basic business constraints
>>> are enforced in the database (uniqueness, NOT NULL, referential integrity,
>>> even some CHECK constraints) while the more complex rules live in application
>>> code only.
>>>
>>> From a redundancy point of view in an ideal world we had a single source for
>>> business logic and extract application code as well as schema based integrity
>>> checks from that. That probably will never work out of the box because it
>>> omits aspects of physical deployment of data as well as performance of checks.
>>> Also, checks might be done redundantly. And we even haven't discussed schema
>>> migration yet...
>>>
>>> Another option would be to place all the business logic in the database and
>>> treat application logic as glue between UI and database only. With Oracle we
>>> have a full features programming language that is tightly integrated with SQL
>>> and would make coding application logic at least feasible. This does not seem
>>> to be done frequently. Does anybody have any experience with that?
>>>
>> Yep. In fact, I just finished a project where I pretty much insisted
>> that was the design. All the business logic is in the database. The only
>> access is via pl/sql packages. this is enforced by granting execute
>> privs to a separate schema, which is the schema the web UI is able to
>> connect to. the web UI essentially retrieves ref cursors to display data
>> via calls to plsql procedures/functions and sends back data via plsql
>> procedures. All the web UI does is handle the display of data and
>> provides forms for entering/updating data.
>>
>> Originally, I was going to use Oracle for the front-end UI as well, but
>> that was taken out of my hands and given to our web developers, who
>> implemented the interface using Java with a combination of JSP and
>> Spring.
>>
>> The application has been in production for a little over three months
>> now. Nearly all our problems have been due to the web interface. We ran
>> into a bug in Spring where it doesn't close cursors properly and a few
>> other issues due to the fact they adopted Spring part way through the
>> development. There were also some performance issues, all of which were
>> due to the web interface and not Oracle. The problem was the web team
>> used a form of reflection supported by Spring. Apparently (I'm no spring
>> or Java expert), you can use spring in such a way that it builds
> [...]

IMO, you have to consider the available skill sets in addition to the technology. If the developers available are not willing or not able to come to grips with Oracle, any decision to put more of the business logic within the database is likely to fail. This is why I also think any architectural decision must involve those who will be building the system and should never be imposed by anyone outside the development process who isn't actually involved in the development at a hands on level. In addition to building the bed, the architect should also have to sleep in it!

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au