Re: "Business Logic / Rules should never be in the database or stored procedures"

From: BChase <bsc7080xxmqc_at_myoracleportal.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:09:12 -0500

Really appreciate the feedback on this thread. I think also some of this perspective still stems from the what they typically call an application. I was in a meeting one day and one of my lead architects said something in reference to the HR/Payroll application. Unfortunately there is no such beast at our company. It is in truth a module bolted onto the Oracle Application framework. The module on its own could not survive without the underlying framework ...which interesting enough has provisions for storing business rule logic and data containers for rules, etc. to make it work. iExpense, iProcurement, GL, etc. all bolt-ons leverage the shared resources and logic components in serveral areas.

Most other applications, non-Oracle related, all self-contained applications and not parts of a larger thing.

Anyone agree with my observation ?