Re: PL SQL Error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:09:24 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 11, 10:58 am, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
> This one is kind of confusing.   The max length of a VARCHAR2 is
> 4000.  So, I call a stored procedure passing is a value that is 3278
> characters long, basically text.  I receive an error:
>
> SP2-0027: Input is too long (> 2499 characters)
>
> If I code that into a variable inside some code, same thing.
>
> Breaking it up is not really an option since it is being called some a
> PHP application.  But, if 4000 is the max, why is it complaining at
> 3000????

Documented sqlplus command line limit:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/apa.htm#i635278

Note you can find stuff like this in MOS, simply by searching the knowledge base for the error number.

Does kinda point up that you need to understand the whole tech stack - the clue that it is sqlplus is the SP2 in the error message.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://technology.amis.nl/blog/6404/oracle-rdbms-11gr2-solving-a-sudoku-using-recursive-subquery-factoring