Re: VARCHAR2 Length

From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:50:15 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 9, 8:30 am, The Magnet <> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 10:24 am, The Magnet <> wrote:
> > So, the max length of VARCHAR2 is 4000 bytes.  So, in PL/SQL, if you
> > need to declare a variable longer than 4000, what can you use?  We
> > need to declare a variable and continue to concatenate strings onto it
> > and it becomes longer than 4000 bytes, so, we're SOL?
> > Still looking for the answer on other sites.
> Of course I should have said more:  What we need to do is put together
> a dynamic query and open up a cursor:
> v_select := 'blah blah blah....'
> open p_data for v_select;
> v_select is longer than 4000 bytes.

Sounds like a job for a Character Large OBject.

And poke around in asktom. Looks like what you want to do (cursor +clob) is limited to 11g:

Remember, a lot of these things are version dependent, so be real specific about your environment. Those of us drowning in the stream of consciousness may not remember even if you just told us.

-- is bogus.