Re: The job of a relational DBMS

From: Ben Finney <>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:38:15 +1100

joel garry <> writes:

> On Nov 30, 8:52 pm, Ben Finney <>
> wrote:
> > Hmm. I'm not sure it's right to say the result would not *be* a
> > relation; but I certainly take the point about ‘ORDER BY’ requesting
> > order be imposed on an orderless relation.
> Should anyone care, I ran across this while meditating upon Chris Date
> giving a seminar in Dallas next month:

Yes, that about covers it. While ‘ORDER BY’ produces something that isn't a relation, it clearly is an operation useful enough that it belongs in a relational DBMS.

 \           “If you do not trust the source do not use this program.” |
  `\                                —Microsoft Vista security dialogue |
Ben Finney