Re: The job of a relational DBMS (was: Sql request)

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:17:45 -0800

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:50:34 +1100, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam_at_benfinney.id.au> wrote:

>joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> writes:

[snip]

>> Can't a function be part of the DBMS?
>
>A non-relational function shouldn't be part of a relational DBMS, no. An
>application can *store* its non-relational functions in the *database*,
>of course, and access them there; but database ? DBMS.

     Addition of integral values is a function mapping two integral values to an integral value. Note the lack of a relation in the RDBMS sense. I think it would be a very useful thing for an RDBMS to have it.

     (How do you more precisely make the division between in and out?)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Mon Nov 30 2009 - 20:17:45 CST

Original text of this message