Re: Sql request

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:22:34 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 27, 3:12 pm, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s..._at_benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> and then use a function or user application to process the relation into
> whatever output text you like for the report. Turning relations into
> reports isn't the job of the DBMS.

So what is the job of the DBMS? From wikipedia (just 'cause it was the first thing that popped up in google, you are welcome to cite others):

"A Database Management System (DBMS) is a set of computer programs that controls the creation, maintenance, and the use of the database with computer as a platform or of an organization and its end users."

Turning relations into reports may or may not be the job of the database, but by definition it quite well can be the job of the Database Management System. In fact, I would go so far as to say using a DBMS as a bit bucket is a mistake I've seen often. There are some things apps may do better, and some things the DBMS may do better. Which things may be debatable, but saying either should do all or neither is wrong.

Can't a function be part of the DBMS?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.