Re: Oracle9i Client - where is it ? ....

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:17:53 -0800 (PST)

On Oct 29, 7:48 am, Ciccio <cic..._at_ciccio.it> wrote:
> Palooka wrote:
> >> I have been scouring the Oracle website, but cannot find any download for
> >> the Oracle9i Client.
> > Use the 10g client.
>
> One question: does 11g client work with 9i2 RDBMS or not? i.e. may from
> sqlplus on a machine that has 11g client installed reach a 9i2 db?
>
> Thanks

Metalink Note: 207303.1 has a matrix of which clients work with which servers. The 11.2 client with 9.2 server is listed as supported, but only under Extended Support, which means if it doesn't work and you haven't been supported continuously since 9.2 was under regular support and you haven't bought Extended Support, tough noogies. The note also has some other considerations you may need to think about, like Oracle Apps and desupported platforms.

Whether it actually works, I couldn't say. Whether you could actually get a fix under Extended Support, I couldn't say either. I would hope this configuration would be common enough to fix regardless, but I can understand Oracle not wanting to put a whole lot of resources into it.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Got root? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/linux_kernel_vulnerability/