Re: Is this the sanctioned way to ascertain a table's existence?

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 01:51:40 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 Okt., 07:21, Noons <wizofo..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Maxim Demenko wrote,on my timestamp of 17/10/2009 11:24 PM:
>

> > I got the impression, he *is* checking metadata (more precise -
> > user_tables).
>
> He is counting the rows of a table to check its existence, according to his own
> words:

yes, he is counting the rows of one very specific table - *user_tables* .
But i think, it is irrelevant as long as we agree on the subject - one parse call should be more efficient than query the data dictionary.

>  >>> EXEC SQL SELECT COUNT(1) INTO :howMany FROM user_tables WHERE
>
> I can't possibly understand how you got that impression...

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Oct 19 2009 - 03:51:40 CDT

Original text of this message