Re: Is this the sanctioned way to ascertain a table's existence?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:26:57 +1000

Maxim Demenko wrote,on my timestamp of 17/10/2009 11:24 PM:

> _at_OP
> i would probably not verify at all whether the table exists. Look at the
> demo examples ansidyn1.pc and ansidyn2.pc
> ($ORACLE_HOME/precomp/demo/proc) - your goal looks for me as typical
> use case for dynamic sql. Just parse
> the statement, what you intend to execute with the table of interest
> (assuming , this table exists) and if the parse fail, do the else branch
> of your code. Imho, doing like that, you reduce the work for your engine
> to the minimum.

That is indeed the best way to achieve this. Use the parsing of dynamic sql to handle the table existence validation. It not only takes care of existence of table but also does not bypass any security "hiding" applied by designers. Received on Sun Oct 18 2009 - 00:26:57 CDT

Original text of this message