Re: Choose one of two values

From: Sashi <>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 10:40 am, Sashi <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm running a simple select stmt thus:
> select A.value, b.value
> from A, B
> where ...
> However, either A.value or B.value is null and I need to select the
> non null value.
> Is there a way of specifying within pl/sql this construct?
> Pseudocode:
> Select ( if (A.value) is null and (B.value) is not null then B.value
>             else
>             if (B.value) is null and (A.value) is not null then
> A.value
>             else
>             if (B.value) is not null and (A.value) is not null then
> A.value)
> From A, B
> where ...
> In the third case above, either is ok so I arbitrarily cose A.value.
> Hope this is clean enough.
> Thanks in advance,
> Sashi

Well, I found this nifty string function that seems to do what I need:

select coalesce(A.value, B.value)
from A, B
where ...

If there's any caveats or any other reason that I shouldn't use this, please let me know.
Also any other alternatives that work are appreciated as well. TIMTOWTDI works in all areas for me.

Sashi Received on Mon Sep 28 2009 - 09:56:54 CDT

Original text of this message