Re: What character are valid in the name of a table?

From: Phil Herring <phil_herring_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 22, 12:30 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> You will also create a nightmare for maintenance.  I strongly suggest
> sticking to the use of A - Z, 0 - 9, and underscore to all database
> object names.  [&c.]

Sure. And Oracle recommend sticking to ASCII. And I get pretty annoyed with people who use mixed case where it isn't appropriate. I've even inherited code (I think it originated in a SQL Server system) that had spaces in table and column names. Irritating.

However, if the question is "What characters are valid?", the answer is still: "anything you can type with the keyboard in front of you".

  • Phil