Re: Oracle9i Client - where is it ? ....

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:29:53 +0100

On 13/09/09 01:39, joel garry wrote:
> On Sep 12, 1:10 pm, "Frederick Smith"<some..._at_microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have been scouring the Oracle website, but cannot find any download for
>> the Oracle9i Client.
>>
>> I want to use MS Access to make a ODBC connection to an exiting Oracle9i
>> database, and want to install these drivers on to a Win XP machine.
>>
>> Any suggestions ? ...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Frederick
>
> You may be able to use these: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

Joel,

You may well be right. I have never played with Instant Client.

But the rule of thumb is that regular client versions will always be backward compatible one major version.

So in this case, 10g client should be fine to connect to a 9i server. OP should install 10g client and 10g ODBC driver.

He should probably then uninstall M$ Access, but that's a different issue...;-)

Palooka Received on Sat Sep 12 2009 - 20:29:53 CDT

Original text of this message