Re: Looking for a "Payroll" database schema

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:16:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 3, 9:15 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 7:20 pm, Google Poster <gopos..._at_jonjay.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>

> > I am sure there are versions of this out there. It would be great to
> > educate myself on design of schemas. This can be a great textbook
> > example.
>
> > What I need is to put a set of payrolls in a dabatase. Think of the
> > job performed by companies like ADP or Paychex: they have lots of
> > client companies, and each client company has different payroll
> > structures and periods: some pay monthly, some pay weekly, etc. It is
> > important to record the number of hours worked, and the date the check
> > was written (payday) as opposed to when the wages were earned. A
> > realistic schema should include: regular pay, overtime pay,
> > commissions, etc.
>
> > I tried to design it but I simply lack the experience. All I have done
> > so far are much simpler tables. For instance, if companies pay:
>
> >  - weekly
> >  - biweekly
> >  - semimonthly
> >  - monthly
> > etc.
>
> > Should I have different tables, one for each of the pay cycles above.
> > Is it possible to structure the different cycles above in one table?
>
> > I guess my neurons are not wired in a rectangular-relational shape,
> > for problems like the above I immediately think of trees, graphs and
> > all kinds of non-regular structures.
>
> > My respects go to folks who design those complex tables.
>
> > Pointers and advice are most appreciated and welcome.
>
> > TIA,
>
> > -GP
>
> What about taxes?  How about different kinds of deductions for 401K's
> and medical plans?
>
> This sounds suspiciously like homework to me.
>
> Before you start on the details of a payroll you need to backup and
> start with things like employees companies countries etc.  Identify
> the important entities and decide how they fit into your schema before
> going into low level design.
>
 > Seriously most small to medium sized companies
 > implement a packaged solution like Great Plains
 > and even smaller sized packages.

This is far from being a full blown up accounting package! My company (a small startup) will provide supplementary services, downstream. Payrool are read-only for us. All I need is a few tables (have some already, DON'T like them), the general structure to get started.

There is only one country involved: good ole' USA.

This has got to be in a book somewhere. It is a textbook case.

-Ramon Received on Thu Sep 03 2009 - 21:16:31 CDT

Original text of this message