Looking for a "Payroll" database schema

From: Google Poster <goposter_at_jonjay.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:20:43 -0700 (PDT)

I am sure there are versions of this out there. It would be great to educate myself on design of schemas. This can be a great textbook example.

What I need is to put a set of payrolls in a dabatase. Think of the job performed by companies like ADP or Paychex: they have lots of client companies, and each client company has different payroll structures and periods: some pay monthly, some pay weekly, etc. It is important to record the number of hours worked, and the date the check was written (payday) as opposed to when the wages were earned. A realistic schema should include: regular pay, overtime pay, commissions, etc.

I tried to design it but I simply lack the experience. All I have done so far are much simpler tables. For instance, if companies pay:

  • weekly
  • biweekly
  • semimonthly
  • monthly etc.

Should I have different tables, one for each of the pay cycles above. Is it possible to structure the different cycles above in one table?

I guess my neurons are not wired in a rectangular-relational shape, for problems like the above I immediately think of trees, graphs and all kinds of non-regular structures.

My respects go to folks who design those complex tables.

Pointers and advice are most appreciated and welcome.

TIA, -GP Received on Thu Sep 03 2009 - 18:20:43 CDT

Original text of this message