Re: Yet another newbie question

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 2, 10:40 am, Sashi <small..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using a standard SQL command but Oracle seems to have a different
> version.
>
> update A,B
> set a.col1 = 'something'
> where a.col2>=b.col2 and a.col3<=b.col3
>
> Why doesn't this seem to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Sashi

Actually, that doesn't look like standard SQL to me. The standard says

   UPDATE table name ...
where table name can be a base table or a view.

So I assume you learned "standard SQL" on some other DBMS that extended the standard a little. So as Michel mentioned, look up the Oracle syntax. It actually more closely follows the SQL Standard.

 Ed Received on Wed Sep 02 2009 - 11:02:06 CDT

Original text of this message