Re: Is it possible to have an array in a table? (again)

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:02:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 22, 4:07 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
> Can a table contain data arranged in two dimensions, and accessible
> through a pair of integer subscripts?
>
> I can live with 1-dimensional arrays, too.
>
> TIA,
>
> -RFH
Thanks to everyone for their help...

I would like to provide a specific example of what I am trying to accomplish. Let's say I run a circus and every day I get the totals sold in a given week.

Categories are: ticket sales, cotton candy, souvenirs, etc.

My application needs to display the sales like this:

Ticket Sales

8/22/2009: $8492.10
8/15/2009: $9024.31
8/8/2009:  $7893.03
8/1/2009:  $8945.67

People keep on recommending the SQL paradigm, but the above looks to me like something that must be handled by arrays.

I need to display the 6 most recent weeks and I keep on pushing the most recent sales figures at the top, while I roll down and eventually drop the oldest data. This kind of think MUST be handled with an index, such as week-1 or week-2.

If I followed the relational model, I would need to hardcode records such as:

CURRENT_WEEK
WEEK_MINUS_1
WEEK_MINUS_2
etc.

That would be a nightmare to code.

So, the question is how to implement the records (with arrays?) for a rolling scenario like the above described.

Thanks!

-Ramon Received on Mon Aug 31 2009 - 23:02:11 CDT

Original text of this message