Re: PL/SQL-Functions called with ADO return random junk

From: Philipp Stiefel <phil_at_codekabinett.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:45:07 +0200

joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote: > On Aug 25, 3:35 pm, Philipp Stiefel <p..._at_codekabinett.de> wrote:

>> My environment is as follows:
>>
>> Oracle Server: 10.2.0.4 Patch 19
>> Oracle Client: 8.1.7.0.0
>> Oracle ODBC Driver: 8.01.07.00
>> ADO: 2.1 (tried 2.8 as well)
>>
>> Any ideas what is going on? - Thanks a lot!

> I think you need the 8.1.7.4 patch, but support ended a couple of
> years ago, so unless you qualify for lifetime support, good luck.  And
> yes, I do mean that sarcastically.  Why on earth are you using 8?

The customer is using other third party applications that are still running with an Oracle 8.1-Server. During the preparation of the migration of our server to 10g we came to the conclusion, that the only way we can migrate our server to 10g without affecting any other application is to stick with the 8.1-Client.

We are running the 10.2-Server/8.1-Client-combination for almost two years now and it is going very well so far. - However, until now we were still using DAO/ODBC as data access method. I'm just in the process of evaluating the migration to ADO.

I'm on site with the customer tomorrow and will discuss our possibilities to upgrade the clients to Oracle 10. If that is not an option, I will try the 8.1.7.4-Client. - Supportwise that won't make matters any worse than they already are with our current configuration. ;-)

Thanks to all of you for the advice!

Regards
Philipp Received on Wed Aug 26 2009 - 03:45:07 CDT

Original text of this message